A Penance

My photo
To be her is my destiny. She is pure and so she is free. SHE is: A blessing to her parents, a darling to her friends, a treat to her children... She exists in many forms for everyone. My journey will end when I become her.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Listening to your run

We are now eight weeks into the training, and all we do is just run 'One more mile than last week'.. Simple logic that works week after week.

I am not extremely overweight (means I am kinda), and it takes me 3 miles of walk-jog just to get warmed up! Tough eh!
Thank God! I dont need to run 26.2 after the 3 mile warm up. So while my co-runners are happily chatting, I am huffing, puffing and out of breath even at a 14 minute mile pace. But once I cross 3 miles, I am different. I can talk, breathe evenly and that is when I start listening to my pace.

Sometimes I run to the mild rhythm of a drum beat.
Sometimes I am slowly following the strength of the stream I am passing by.
Many a time, it is to the chirping birds.
Sometimes there is silence around. Then I run to the rhythm of my breath.

The runner in me is very stingy. I dont want to waste energy.
So it is my feet that moves. Some arm movement is also there.
That is when I remember what my daugthers dance teacher says, "When you are doing your Jathis, it is your feet that needs to move. Why does ur shoulder need to dance. When someone sees ur shoulder they should not know that you are balancing ur feet! And then the girls focus and graciously move their feet. They understand the rhythm.

That is how feel when I run. Running has rhythm. And Grace.
It has style. And beauty.
I have passed the excited nervous stage now.
I am now peaceful and calm.
All that needs to happen now is 'one more mile!'

No comments: